December 22, 2007

Last Day in Boston

I'm about 15 minutes from heading to the airport to get ready for my flight home! My flight leaves at 4:10 pm Eastern time and gets to Portland, OR at 7:30 pm Pacific time. Yay for time zones! Anywho, I wanted to take these last 15 minutes to squeeze a blog entry in. Luckily for me (and you?) they FINALLY brought DSL out to my house, after much ranting and raving. That means I'll get to blog from my laptop while I'm home and share Christmas stories with you! I'll also be taking my picture for my MIT banner (things that look like this on mitadmissions.org:)







If I'm stuck choosing between a few good ones I'll post them and get some feedback from you guys.

That's all for now, I'm all packed and ready to go, I think I'll just leave you with a quick story that sets the mood for flying:


I once heard that the great mathematician David Hilbert was invited to give a talk on any subject he liked during the early days of air travel. His subject:

The Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem


Needless to say, his talk was eagerly anticipated. The day arrived, the talk was given, and it was brilliant -- but it had nothing at all to do with Fermat's Last Theorem.

After the talk, someone asked Hilbert why he had picked a title that had nothing to do with the talk. His answer: "Oh, that title was just in case the plane crashed."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol..smart smart hilbert!
hey..how'll u diff. btwn what to post on mit and what on this blog?