June 22, 2008

New Shades

Back in 7th grade my family and I discovered a wonderful exploit of eye insurance: Free Sunglasses. I wear contacts and have a prescription, but it's a fairly weak prescription, weak enough that I can be wearing contacts, put on prescription glasses, and it won't bug me a ton. My parents also got eye insurance through their jobs. Turns out there was an eye doctor relatively near my house that sold Oakley Sunglasses . . . prescription Oakley Sunglasses . . . for a ridiculous amount of money.

Luckily, money was no object, because as long as those glasses were prescription, I could use eye insurance on them. That meant free Oakley sunglasses for Michael!



I loved those sunglasses! I took them everywhere and wore them all the time. I had them from 7th grade all the way up through the summer before college. Then, something terrible happened. I was cleaning the road in front of my house and picking litter out from the brush. My mom was with me, and she picked up a piece of plastic.

"Michael, isn't this a piece of your sunglasses?"
I went over and looked at it. It was indeed half of the sunglasses frame, silver with a little green "O" looking at me sadly.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!

As we continued picking up litter we continued to find pieces of my sunglasses. Nearest we can tell, they somehow ended up on the side of the road and were then mowed over by a brush mower that was cleaning the sides of the street. To this day we still don't know how they got to the side of the road, but they did, and they were crushed beyond all repair.

I made it all the way through freshman year in college without sunglasses but it wasn't a good time. Sure, the winter was fine because it was dark and gloomy, but those periods of time wrapped around the winter were miserable. That is why yesterday I decided it was time to bite the bullet and invest in a new pair of sunglasses.

I have an affinity for Oakley sunglasses so I knew that I wouldn't be happy with any other kind. Unfortunately, Oakley doesn't sell the kind I used to have, so I was forced to improvise. Half-jackets were the closest thing but they didn't have the right color. Oakley, the company that they are, thinks of everything and actually lets you design your own sunglasses, so that's what I did. I spent some time messing with color combinations before finally settling on my brand new sunglasses. Here they are, in all of their glory!



They should be here in 10-15 days (they have to build them and ship them) and I'll make sure to blog their arrival!

5 comments:

Paul said...

Free Oakleys because of insurance? Jealous.

Oakley are indeed awesome, as I think we've already discussed. I have a Half Jackets myself and love them, so I'm sure you'll be really happy as well...though I prefer the XLJ frames. ;)

Tamara said...

You forgot to blog about the bandana. Also, I'm waiting for a picture of you with the sunglasses to see if you look as cool as random-guy-in-picture. But yeah, they're an awesome pair of sunglasses, I'll give you that much.

Unknown said...

wow, talk about a loophole. That's like the time I got a pair of Gucci eyeglasses for free, just because. They are pretty snazzy.

I once had a pair of sunglasses I loved, I even wore them at night (music reference!). Unfortunately they met an untimely demise when I crushed them. With my butt. Nothing will make you feel like a lard-ass faster than breaking things by sitting on them.

NoOoSa said...

Congrats on the new purchase. Sorry about the old ones, but we have to move on eventually. I remember last February I was in the Maldives, and I had this amazing pair of sunglasses that don't fold, but are actually like a headband (so you wear them on put them on your head). They were navy blue and very cool... One day, I took them to the beach, and forgot them on the chair. In the Maldives, you stay on one island, same beach, very few people (especially since it was Valentine's weekend, we were the only family and the only people on the beach lo0ol... With 100% hotel occupancy... Hmmm) Anyway so someone took them, and that was the end for the first sunglasses I loved :( I have an Armani now lol and surprisingly I got them for 1/2 the price I imagined them to be!! =D lol as long as a blog entry I apologize ;P

Anonymous said...

As it turns out, I actually wear a pair of limited edition Aluminum coated frame w/ Titanium Iridium lens Half Jackets. We can be sunglass buddies! Yay!