March 09, 2007

Fad Anthology: All Your Base Are Belong To Us

I would like to help educate my readers in the fine culture that is the internet. There are a couple of things that every internet user just needs to know about, and I'm going to do my best to help. I begin my anthology with

All Your Base Are Belong To Us (AYBABTU)

In 1989 Japan, a video game manufacturer produced a low budget video game called "Zero Wing". They planned on selling the game in the United States, but the US put restrictions on import games that required they be translated into english, so that's what happened. Too bad they hired, quite possibly, the worst translator on the planet! After translating the game, they ran out of money and never ended up shipping the game. It was never seen again. . .

Until 1998. Somebody uploaded a video of the introduction to the video and it began circulating around the internet. It wasn't an immediate hit amongst internet users, but its popularity steadily increased. One day somebody added a soundtrack to it and BOOM! Popularity exploded overnight. It was on the top 50 searches on lycos, on local news channels, and all over the media. The internet had transformed a terrible introduction to a terrible video game into a phenomenon. There was one line from the video that people loved, and that's the phrase that spread. The phrase? "All your base are belong to us."

Here's the original intro to the video game. http://jzzsxm.googlepages.com/zerowing.mov

What? Never heard this? Don't believe that it's world famous?! Here, I'll prove it to you:

All Your Base Are Belong To Us Media [Image 1]

All Your Base Are Belong To Us Media [Image 2]

All Your Base Are Belong To Us Media [Image 11]

All Your Base Are Belong To Us Media [Image 12]

Check out the upper left of this website

So there you go, consider yourself cultured. If ever in life you hear the phrase "All of your _______ are belong to me/us", you know exactly where it came from. Believe me, now that you know the story, you will hear the phrase more and more. Glad I could enlighten you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am caught! :p so you do have a reader from Turkey. It's me. :)
Interesting stuff...