January 03, 2008

My Loving Companion



[Video is a Portal spoiler, listen at your own risk]


Portal is an AMAZING game that was published by Valve and sold with several other games in The Orange Box. I just finished up the game today and it just puts you in a great mood and also kind of makes you obsessed with some of the main elements of the game, mainly cake and your weighted companion cube.

I'm assuming all of you know what cake is. If not, go have a birthday, people will give it to you.

The weighted companion cube, however, is something you may not be as familiar with. It's a weighted cube that you have to utilize during the game to help you achieve your goals. It has a pink heart on it, immediately causing whoever is playing to make an emotional attachment to it. It's like Wilson in "Castaway," inanimate but your best friend. Unfortunately, you're forced to incinirate it, which breaks the hearts of Portal players everywhere.



I decided to make a 3D model of the weighted companion cube using SolidWorks.



Now I just need to coerce somebody at MIT to get me access to a 3D printer so I can have a desktop weighted companion cube. I've saved my SolidWorks file as an eDrawings file so I can share the 3D representation with you.

This link will NOT work with Firefox (and perhaps other web browsers. I know it works with Internet Explorer). Sorry guys . . . I can't help how eDrawings encodes it.

Click here to see the spiffy 3D representation!

You should definitely go buy Portal. It's cheap ($40), comes with 4 other FULL games (Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode 1, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Team Fortress 2), and it has cake.

I'm not even lying, it has cake.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

THE CAKE IS A LIE

Paul said...

"The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak." <3 GLaDOS.

Also, I know a bunch of places/people make/sell plush versions of the weighted companion cube. I really want one! (Hint hint to anyone thinking of buying me a present. Call it a late Christmas gift or something. :D)

Will said...

Hehe...I like the animation they added in the VGCats flash. :)

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/extras/stillalive.php

Anonymous said...

THE CAKE IS A LIE.

Again..

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hunter said...

Is the sldprt file available please?

Unknown said...

could you post the file for the companion cube? I actually do have access to one of these devices, and it'd be great if i had the model to make the cube with